AC vs GT

Which version of IELTS is right for you?

Check with the organisations you wish to apply to before you book your test!

There are two versions of IELTS to choose from:

  • IELTS Academic
    Generally, this version is for those who want to study or train in an English-speaking university or Institutions of Higher and Further Education. Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses is based on the results of the Academic test.
  • IELTS General Training
    This version is typically for those who are going to English-speaking countries to do secondary education, work experience or training programs. People migrating to Australia, Canada and New Zealand must sit the General Training test.

Make sure you know which one you need before you book your test.

What do you want to do? The version you need
I want to:

  • study at university at undergraduate or postgraduate level; or
  • join a professional organisation in an English-speaking country
You should take IELTS Academic
I want to:

  • train or study at below degree level
  • work or undertake work-related training in an English-speaking country
  • emigrate to an English-speaking country
You should take IELTS General Training
Find out which test you need

Every organisation sets its own entry requirements. In some cases both versions of IELTS may be accepted.
If you are not certain as to which version to take, you should contact the organisations directly in order to check their requirements.

Whichever test version you choose, IELTS can help you make the most of your time in your chosen country.